Monday, September 18, 2017

Alaska: Explorer of the Sea - Day 3 - Juneau

Day three was our first port of call, Juneau. We didn't dock until noon, so that left us plenty of time for a relaxing morning able to fit in some fun ship activities beforehand.

I feel like we went to breakfast at the Sapphire Dining Room, but I don't have any pictures so I'm not 100% sure of that. What I do know is that at 9:30am we went to the Wii Virtual Mega-Pin Bowling Tournament at The Tavern. There we met some people from Gresham and the wife grew up in Bend, where my Aunt who was traveling with us was from. My dad always had trouble remembering people's names, but had no problem remembering the location they were from, so we just refereed to them as Gresham from then on out. They got 2nd and 3rd place in the bowling tournament and my dad went away with the gold metal, which he wore proudly the rest of the day.

The seats at The Tavern are incredibly deep. It practically swallows me!
After we were off to morning trivia at the Schooner and then I went to a line dancing class in the Promenade. Heart taught us and is perfect for it, as she's a ball of energy. We made a stop at Windjammers to grab some food before leaving the ship and heading into Juneau.

While my family went on the Mendenhall Glacier tour, the rest of us went on the Mount Roberts Tramway. It's $30 and you can go up and down as many times as you want to, though we only did it once. In my opinion, if you like great arial views, it's totally worth it. Plus you get a good view of the ships. From where we docked to where we boarded the tram was about a mile walk. They also have a shuttle which we took on the way back.


The view from the top! The water is such a pretty color in Alaska. Being born and raised in the PNW, a lot of the foliage looked similar, but the water was definitely different.

The beautiful Explorer of the Seas. And a Princess ship.

We got there at the perfect time, because just a few short minutes after we finished taking photos the clouds rolled in.

For those wondering what I wore, this is the outfit I wore into port both days. 

Hat: Made by Me
Columbia Fleece Jacket: Amazon
Windbreaker Jacket: NewBalance via T.J.Maxx
Shirt: ThredUP
Comfy Exercise Leggings: Fred Meyer
Grey boots: Fred Meyer
Black Leg Warmers: T.J.Maxx?


After spending some time at the top of Mount Roberts we made our way back down into town. We wandered around for a bit, did some souvenir shopping, and then met up with the family.

Being at the end of the Alaska Cruse season, and the very last trip for the Explorer, all the shops were having their end of season sales which was awesome. I got a pin from each port as I'm going to make a cork board that I want to fill with pins and photos from my travels. 


We took the shuttle bus back to the ship and boarded. All aboard wasn't until 8:30pm, but we wanted to be back before dinner. Saves us money and is easier for those of us with allergies as we have a meal waiting for us.

After dinner hung around the ship before making our way to the Schooner Bar, got some drinks, and enjoyed listening to David at the piano bar. He also got Tiana to sing. Once she told him she sings more operatic he started Think of Me from Phantom of the Opera which just happens to be her all time favorite musical.

Mah mom's Margarita Azul.

No comments:

Post a Comment