Tuesday, October 3, 2017

What I Wore: Alaska Cruise Edition

Being that I put a lot of thought and research into what to wear and pack for my recent Alaska cruise, I thought it would be worth sharing not only what I packed, but what I wish I had/hadn't brought.

Something that I wanted to do for this trip was pack with a minimalist mindset. I've always been a serious over packer, so to really think about the trip and not pack a bunch of extras was a big change for me. Bringing tops that would go with any of my bottoms was essential and made it easier. I also wanted to fit everything into a carry-on suitcase, which I did successfully.


Unfortunately I don't have any photos of my packed suitcase (I didn't know I was going to have this blog at the time), but I did take a video showing everything I took that I shared on Instagram.



Including what I wore on the ship I had:
-1 casual dress

-1 dressy dress
-2 pairs leggings
-3 tops
-2 skirts
-2 halftees
-1 light jacket
-1 fleece jacket
-1 windbreaker
-1 pair each fleece and regular tights
-1 pair each fleece and regular footless tights
-2 hats
-1 scarf
-1 pair gloves
-1 pair boots
-1 pair flats
-1 pair canvas flats

The biggest challenge was not knowing how much time I would spend on deck as I would need warmer clothes for that, but lighter ones for hanging inside the ship. I didn't end up using the scarf or gloves at all. The fleece and windbreaker were invaluable on port days. Hats were good, especially on Tracy Arm/Endicott Fjord day. Adding legwarmers on top of my leggings was a great idea.

Personally I could have used one more shirt for lounging around in on the ship (mainly because I ended up getting a spot on one) and probably one more dress, since that's what I normally wear. Being from Seattle the weather wasn't that big of a deal since it was like an average fall/winter day.

When it comes to being on the ship, comfy shoes are important! If your anything like me, you'll end up doing a lot of walking throughout the day, so it's worth making sure your feet are comfortable. I also rarely needed a jacket in the evenings, which was nice. And if you don't plan on carrying your phone with you, particularly on the ship, remember a watch!


This is what I wore on embarkation day. Seattle was really warm leading up to the trip, so I took advantage of that with a good warmer weather outfit.
-Black high-low skirt from friend
-Red top from Target
-Belt from Fred Meyer
-Canvas shoes from Payless

On day two this is what I wore lounging around the ship, adding the fleece if I was going out on deck. 
-Columbia fleece jacket from Amazon
-Black leggings from Fred Meyer 
-Grey boots from Fred Meyer
-Leg warmers from TJMaxx


My formal night attire. I kept it pretty simple. This is one of my favorite and most worn dresses that has gotten a lot of wear the last few years! Also, my sparkly shoes are getting really beat up, but they don't make these cute silver ones anymore so I keep on wearing them anyways.

-Navy polka dot dress from ThredUp
-Black halftee from Halftee
-Sparkle flats from Payless
-Black tights from Fred Meyer

Port day in Juneau. Comfort is key. So is a windbreaker. I put my phone, wallet, and passport in my fleece pockets so I didn't have to carry a purse (I already had my heavy Canon 6D and Sigma 35mm).

-Orange striped shirt from ThredUp
-Columbia fleece jacket from Amazon
-New Balance wind breaker from TJMaxx
-Black leggings from Fred Meyer 
-Grey boots from Fred Meyer
-Leg warmers from TJMaxx
-Hat made by me

Skagway was nearly identical to Juneau, just a different shirt.

Random story about my windbreaker: When I found out I was going on this cruise (two weeks before departure) I had to go on the hunt for a rain jacket. I found this one at TJMaxx and I love the grey and white strips, but the inside is this bright bubblegum pink that makes me wanna gag every time I put it on. Good news is that when I'm wearing it you would never even guess the inside is such a bright color that I dislike. 

We were at sea (Endicott Fjord day) and there was another formal night, though I kept it super casual with a day dress and fleece tights that I wore all day. I added my fleece and windbreaker while out on deck going through the fjord, along with a super warm hat. This purple Columbia hat is super warm and has served me well the past few years.

-Casual dress from ThredUp
-Black halftee from Halftee
-Sparkle flats from Payless
-Black tights from Fred Meyer

There was another sea day in here which I wore the exact same outfit as I did on embarkation day.

 The weather in Victoria was perfect. Didn't even need a jacket. 

-Orange striped shirt from ThredUp
-Black skirt from Fred Meyer
-Black belt from Fred Meyer
-Black canvas shoes from Payless

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful outfits! You are lovely.

    Thank you for your wonderful comment on my blog today. It touched my heart and YES I do remember you! So glad to hear how you are living your life so fearlessly.

    Hugs to you!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete